Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Differences

I wanted to write about a topic that has been on my mind off and on over the past few years. I don't really think about it actively, and I imagine most people don't, but everybody experiences it each day. Everybody is different. We all have an idea of what is right or wrong, and we each carry our perception of the world and our ideals. You form your picture of the world based on who raised you, what has happened to you in your lifetime, and what you expose yourself to each day. The amazing thing is that each one of us act upon our picture of the world and how we think the world should be. So when we act, or see others act... we're basing our actions and thoughts on our own individual paradigm.
While most people have an innate feeling for what is wrong and right... we're all amazingly different as we're faced with different issues and experiences. I may love to play golf, but for all I know my next-door neighbor might have had a horrible experience as a child with golf or someone who played golf, causing him to dislike golf or even dislike anyone that plays golf. The first time I truly thought about or even fully realized the reach of this topic was while reading The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Unfortunately, I have yet to get past the first couple chapters in the book, but I'm glad that I read that one portion, and think that it's caused me to look at people in a whole new way.
Reading the news each day, I usually come across many articles talking about the presidential candidates, the economy, or the wars/conflicts around the world. I don't argue or debate very well. I generally don't like it. Maybe I don't like conflict because I'm not good at it, or maybe I'm not good at it because I don't like it. Either way, when I read articles or hear news about particular issues that I disagree with, it really rubs me the wrong way. Some topics don't annoy me, but certain religious or political issues have really gotten me riled up and amazed that anyone could possibly hold a stance that differs from me. "How stupid can they be?!?! Why in the world would anyone think THAT is a good way to fix the problem?" And if I'm truly honest, I'll end up harboring resentment and anger against people that I don't even know... people that have a different opinion than me, or believe in anyone other than Jesus. I mean, I guess it's not a good idea to completely wipe some people off of the planet or ship others to a remote island to see how natural homosexuality really is (it would only take 1 generation to find out), but isn't it frustrating!?!?!
The one thing that I have to come back to is that my God reigns and I'm fortunate to know him. The only thing that ultimately matters is whether you trust in Jesus or not. Even if it drives me crazy to live in a country that is becoming increasingly tolerant of other people who don't believe what I do... although I still kinda like the idea of using remote islands ;-)

Tim Fish

No comments: