Monday, June 30, 2008

A Place to Call Home

Most everyone knows that Tim and I moved to Pflugerville back in December of 2007. Tim took a job up north in June of 2007 and was having to spend hours in traffic when we lived down south. We decided that Pflugerville was the closest and most affordable place for us to live. Unfortunately, we didn't expect gas prices to jump to $4.00 a gallon. We didn't think about it being expensive to drive down south to be with family and friends.

This weekend I really felt the weight of the distance. I have been attending Bannockburn Baptist Church since I was 4 years old... so almost 21 years!!! I was baptised at BBC, met Tim at BBC, got married at BBC.... you get the picture. I was practically raised at BBC. The family we have at BBC was one I don't think I fully appreciated until yesterday. Yesterday Tim and I went to a church in Round Rock that we had visited a few times since moving to P-ville. The church seems great and well founded, the people seem fun and friendly, but as I sat in my chair the feeling came over me that this place wasn't home. I suddenly felt very lonely and longed for Christian friendship... Last night Tim and I took Cooper for a walk and he told me that he got the feeling that Central wasn't the place for us. I was relieved that he had felt the same nudging. Unfortunately this means that we will have to keep looking for a new church home.

Here comes the feeling of loneliness again. I wish joining a new church was easy. I wish we could walk in and immediately strike up eternal friendships with Godly couples... but I know it doesn't really work that way. Tim and I are stuck in the middle of friends. We are losing touch with the church family we love so much at BBC, and we haven't found a new church family to fill in the gap. Christian friends are so important and I am longing to meet people close to us. I'm longing to find a church and church family that we can finally call home!

1 comment:

The Ratpack said...

oh girl I totally understand! Just think, more people our age will be moving and settling down in the suburbs. And your circles will grow. I know it stinks that we are back where we grew up and everybody left! It makes us miss yall! Good luck with your church search, just like with Tim, when you find it, you'll know!